Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Quick note: My "lesson of the day" from yesterday.

Ok - I make it sound like I learn something cool and worth commenting on every day... :-/

Anyway... So, I was plying my L3 team lead who is French with cookies in hopes of cheering him up. At the same time, we have our colleagues (never co-workers for some reason) from Romania here (thus the reason I'd made the cookies to start with). When one of the Romanians looked up and realised it was Vince, he started speaking to him in what sounded like pretty good French. (Alan, of course, turns to me and jokes, "What was that? Are they slagging us off?" which is even funnier as my French is worse than Alan's could possibly be.) Then Vince proceeds to explain that legionnaires, after 10 years of service to the Roman army, were given land. Norman Roman soldiers were given land in Romania. Thus, the Romanian language is actually a Latin language instead of the Slovak tongue you'd expect. And more so, it's closer to French than say, Italian or Spanish.

Cool, huh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home