Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Ok, so first time skiing. We got this really cool, very cheap trip from Crystal Ski, to here in Pamprovo, Bulgaria. It seemed like a good idea – it's mostly inclusive... the flights out and back, 6 days of beginner ski school, equipment rental, lift tickets, both breakfast and dinner, and a room with private shower and wc. Well – I know that I am not like Ray. Ray picks things up physically the way I pick things up intellectually. After the first day, I felt rather frustrated and kind of like I wasn't going to be able to get the hang of this... Of course, being me, I will not just quit and give up. Not only because I've already paid for this, but also because I can't just stop. It's just not me. I keep going until it's really stupid. And, once again, I've paid for it. I realized that I wasn't doing well, and I wanted to get private tuition. However, I dithered about the timing, and decided to see how I was doing at the end of the second day before actually doing it. Maybe that was my mistake. So... We are going down an easy slope – the one with the little pull lift at the bottom to get you back up – and one leg went one way, the other in the other direction, I went down, and I knew immediately that my knee was not well, and that I wouldn't be doing anything else for the rest of the day. It's not a big deal, I have crap knees, and I know that. So, ice, ibuprofen, and I should be good to go the next day. Except that the ski instructor really wanted me to see a doctor. So I did. I have a torn ligament and, of course, to limit my movement, my leg is now in a full, plaster, 10-ton cast. They don't have air casts like back home. Ok, it's not the most modern country. But they don't even have the resin casts? Ugh... This sucks. Really really really really sucks. I sent Ray out to ski today because at least he can have some fun. He really was managing to get the hang of it, so that's cool. I just hope he doesn't break something. That would make it very very difficult to get home. As it is, BUPA travel insurance is having to get me 3 seats on the plane so that I can keep my leg elevated. You aren't allowed to fly in a full leg cast otherwise, supposedly. Plus, the doc has to give me a “Fit for Travel” certificate or something. Oh, well. At least I tried. Now, going to go back to reading and being bored...

1 Comments:

Blogger Frances said...

Well it's a good thing that you opted for equipment rental services instead of buying those equipment.

Fri Sept 14, 02:42:00 am BST  

Post a Comment

<< Home