Wednesday, December 24, 2008

So... Christmas Eve, if you celebrate that kind of thing. And if you do: Merry Christmas!

Long time, no post, I know... Same story as usual: I was really busy. Things have been hectic at work for me. I had a ton of administrivia to work on beyond my normal stuff. That's what kills you. We've also had a bunch of work things going on. We had a paintball thingy on the 9th at some place in Canary Wharf. That was actually a lot of fun – I ended up really bruised, but it was great.

Then, we had the big party, organized by dev, at Dogget's Coat and Badge again this year. We got the entire 4th floor to ourselves and a really big bar tab, and a number of folks from my team showed up. As I get older, I realize that, for me, drinking is kind of silly. I rarely ever drink now – I guess its been since we stopped hanging out with the Anderson bros – but the few times I have, it has occurred to me: I metabolize alcohol rather quickly. So, since it was pretty much an open bar, I had 4 of these Kopparberg Pear Ciders. (Have to provide a link because this is really my favorite alcoholic beverage EVER!!) Now, considering that I don't typically drink, thus have low tolerance, and that I have lost a considerable amount of weight over the last year or so, I really should have been completely drunk. A lot worse off than I was, at least. I reached a point of “Hey, I am buzzed, but I still need to be able to make my way home without falling over,” so, I drank a couple pints of water. Within another hour, I was half way sober. So, I had a final and 5th cider before leaving. The next morning, I woke up, perfectly normal, as usual, with no hangover. It was cool, since I wasn't actually paying for the alcohol, but, I am still not sure of the point. Anyway...

Then, just us L2 folks had our own party on a boat, again, just like last year. And it was fun this year too, though after that is when I started getting sick. Since Ray rode his bike out to Southbank, after we got off the boat, we had to return to collect his gear. As we started heading off, I realized I was feeling a bit crappy, kind of tired. We get to the station, and between Ray's need for organizing his gear in a specific way, and my slowness because I wasn't feeling quite well, we'd missed the train and, had to wait nearly another hour for the last train. By that point, I started shivering, with the chills. Yeah, I knew then I was getting sick. An interminable train ride later, complete with a shoving match between a couple where the woman was trying to leave the abusive boyfriend, and we get to Greenhithe for me to discover that someone had messed with my bike. They broke my front light, taking the actual front part of it off. They tried to steal the seat, but couldn't that all the way off, either. They also let air out of one of my tires. Why? Just because the kids here are little shits with nothing better to do with their time. If they'd stolen something, it would have pissed me off, but at least theft has a goal. Random destruction of a bike just because it was there... Granted – this is the bike Ray got off Ebay for me for £40 because we assumed it had a chance of being stolen or damaged when I took it to the station, but still... So, it took us another 20 minutes of getting things together to get the hell out of there. By the time we got home, every joint in my body, every muscle, everything hurt in an indescribably painful fashion. Yeah – gotta love the flu. Since then, I've pretty much stayed in bed, running a fever and being miserable. I did update my facebook, but you shouldn't do that when you are feverish and confused. I tried to send everyone gingerbread cookies, and sent something else instead. Still not quite sure what, though.

Yesterday, I went to the doc to get antibiotics. I have a sinus infection on top of it all. It's always been this way, it always will be. I get a nasty virus, it screws up my sinuses, and I get a secondary bacterial sinus infection following the viral infection. Anyway – So today is the first day I feel cogent. Not 100% well, not even 70% well. But... Not every part of me hurts, and I think I might stay awake for more than a 3 hour stretch. The antibiotic will help my sinuses in a day or two or three, now that the virus seems to be receding. I am guessing that I will actually feel completely better by next Monday, just in time for me to go back to work. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home