Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Isn't vacation supposed to be relaxing?

It seems as though nothing is going right, though that's obviously not true. We made it here, AND both the flight from LHR to Detroit and the one from Detroit to RDU were EARLY!! The first one left 20 minutes early and got in the air and added another 40 minutes, so that we actually landed an entire hour early. Amazing! Ok, so it meant we wandered around the airport being bored for a longer period of time, but we weren't rushed or stressed or anything about "will we make the next flight?!" And I got Caribou Coffee as soon as we got there. And then, even the flight to RDU was early, but Dad still made it to pick us up, and was waiting. Our cab even got us to Heathrow quickly and cheaply (£70 from out past Dartford!), and checked in with no real delays. So, all that went really well – obviously that worked out.

However, Sunday morning EST/ noon-ish BST, we got a call from the pet sitters… Apparently, we were completely wrong about Dingo. She's been attacking Emma all this time. Every time something happened, there was another reasonable explanation. We think that maybe even the people we boarded with last year, when Emma's foot got broken, maybe they were right – maybe it was Dingo who attacked Emma. (But they didn't handle it well, so I am still unhappy with them.) Anyway, Liz from Animals At Home gave us a call, and Ray spoke with her. Emma's back foot is broken in at least 3 places, she had a bite on the front leg, and there was blood all over the house. Dingo attacked Emma. There is no other explanation. So, I am so stressed and worried about our poor Corgi, and feeling guilty because I should have known that Dingo is a bully, and wondering where we will get the money to pay for all of this. We would have tried to change the flight, to go back sooner but 1) because we got such cheap tickets, it would be stupid expensive to do so and 2) we are here to see Mike, Norma, Drew and Ashley. We are now in Colonial Williamsburg with them. It really sucks because I want to enjoy it and have fun with them – I never get to see my brother and sister-in-law and their kids… But I keep thinking about poor Emma.

At least the Animals at Home people are competent. They knew immediately what was wrong and took her to the vet's office. Of course, being Sunday, they couldn't go to our vet, but she is at a 24 hour place in Sidcup. They knew where to take her, what to do for her. They kept us apprised of the situation. I am happy with THEM even if I am upset about the situation. I've asked them to separate out Abbie and Dingo – to leave Ding in the kitchen and let Abbie roam the house. I forgot to ask how Abbie and her poor eye are doing. In all the fuss over Emma (well, Emma is far worse off than Abbie at this point), I forgot to see how her eye is doing. Well, I've sent an email now, and they will respond when they can. And we went with these folks because we had a pet sitter in Coulsdon from the same company - her name was Pearl. And even Dingo loved Pearl! So, I absolutely need to say: if you are in the UK, looking for a pet sitter, just google something like "Animals at Home" and your town or borough.

On top of all this crap, I am sick. My ears are killing me, my sinuses are all screwy, and because they are draining, my throat hurts and I have no voice. And I can't sleep. I've been awake since 3AM. Partly because stupid BT thought it a good idea to text me with some stupid sales message. So, I am kind of zombie-fied… Tired, sick, just kind of out of it.

On a positive note though, I've discovered that my niece and nephew are pretty cool kids. We discussed zombie movies and Slipknot with Drew and Ashley is a bit devious, but really smart and happy. They are cool kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home