Friday, September 05, 2008

So there was something on TV the other night about polyamourous couples. All I can say is: At least they are honest about it. You see all these folks lying, cheating, going behind their boyfriend's or girlfriend's or husband's or wife's back to do whatever they want. (I can't count how many people I know that can fall under that description.) So you don't believe that monogamy is the natural for humans. As long as you are HONEST about it, and everyone agrees, why is it a problem? Why did they need to make such a big deal out of it and make a show about it on ITV? It was a British show with British producers, following 2 American polyamorous families. It was kinda stupid and overly dramatic. And yet, here I am talking about it. :-)

Another show that we watched the other night – this one really kind of scary... Supposedly, it is fashionable for women here to have plastic surgery on their feminine bits. It's called vaginoplasty. I am not very believing of random statistics thrown at me from sensationalist TV shows... 300% as many women last year as the previous 2 years, or something like that, is really meaningless when we have no idea how many had the surgery in previous years. Anyway – they showed a girl that like 17 or 18 who felt bad about herself – and had her labia “trimmed”. That was bad enough – It really doesn't make sense for any person that young who isn't terribly deformed to have surgery like that... What was worse was a woman that was rather obese that wanted to have vaginal surgery because she thought her twat was too big. There are other problems that she may want to address if she is THAT concerned with aesthetics. I feel pretty strongly that you should be happy with who you are, and that you should do what makes YOU happy. That is, if you feel better about yourself when you wear certain clothes, or make up, then you should do it. You should be the size that is right for you, not what society thinks is right. You should listen to music you like, read what you find interesting, watch stuff you like. If you do things because you think you have a better chance of attracting someone, or impressing someone or for another person other than yourself, then, there is something wrong with this. Just be who you are and be comfortable with who you are. Or maybe I am over simplifying...

I got into it with someone previously because she couldn't understand this point of view. “Oh, you want to be unique, like everyone else.” In her overeagerness to spout forth regurgitated wisdom, she'd missed the point that, unlike everyone else, I don't actually care what anyone else is doing. I don't like - or dislike, for that matter - something because popular opinion says it's wonderful. I make my own decisions. You should too! Just because I think your Uggs are horrendously, offensively stupid, useless, a waste of money and, well, ugly, doesn't mean my opinion should matter to you. Who am I that my opinion should have any effect on your wardrobe? As long as YOU like your Uggs and aren't wearing them JUST because some celebrity does.

Anyway, that's it for now. Gotta logon to work while I am still in a good mood, smiling at Dingo chasing squirrels in her sleep while snoring loudly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home