Monday, May 12, 2008

So, we have many various odd turns of phrase, but the English have several that are REALLY annoying. The one that is driving me nuts right now is "Oh, is it?!" As in:

"Thou shalt not express your shock at the fact that Sharon got off with Bradley at the club last night by saying “Is it”."

Yes, it is a completely non-sequitor reply… Conversations with one co-worker often go something like "I am getting a cup of coffee." and he responds "Oh, is it."

I am on a roll of being annoyed by things here, I think, though… Sitting on the train, both going into work and coming home today, there were women reading those stupid gossip magazines. I can't comprehend why someone would 1) waste so much of their life caring what Billie Piper wore to some club last night or 2) support the destructive force that is the paparazzi. A woman I know told me a combination of reasons: If people want to put themselves in the public spotlight, then I have a right to know everything about them. Or: These people think they are better than me, so I like to see them brought down. In other words, it's nothing more than ego masturbation – you can't feel good about yourself, so you have to bring others down to your level… I can't stand that! Improve yourself! Who cares what others are doing? People spend so much time worrying about everyone else, they don't bother to better themselves… It's so petty and disgusting and awful… Can they really be happy being mindless clones, chattering away on their mobiles about which celebrity is screwing who and how they got drunk Saturday and how much they love their Uggs and how they have no money left til next payday? (This was the empty headed babble of a woman on the platform at East Croydon this evening…)

It's gotten nice and warm recently – really great weather, actually! But, it's been so warm lately, we had to shave Emma down… We shaved her belly completely, and clipped her fur to a normal length. She is much cooler and seems to be happier. But, now instead of being a red corgi, she is a blonde dog.

Anyway, it's 2200 and I am tired, so... Good night!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home